Greene captures first Oxford title in six years

Field Hockey

Greene 2, Harpursville 0

Marathon 3, Oxford 0

OXFORD – The last time Greene won the Oxford Blackhawks Field Hockey Tournament, it went on to win the 2002 state Class B title.

The Trojans avenged overtime losses to Marathon the previous two years to reach the finals, and scored two goals in the final 10 minutes of the title game to defeat Harpursville Saturday night.

“This is a great start to the season, and it sets the bar high,” said Greene head coach Sue Carlin. “We played very well, no doubt about it, but their a lot of things we could have done better. We have a smart team, and they understand that.”

It took over 50 minutes to solve the Hornets’ defense. Christine Conroe took a free hit into the penalty circle, and Anna Crumb broke the scoreless tie with 9:19 left. Erin Smith tacked on an insurance tally with 3:02 remaining receiving a pass from Andrea Day.

“Harpursville’s defense was very good, and when we got it into the circle, we couldn’t get a good shot off,” Carlin said. “We started to get better quality shots in the second half, and continued to pressure them.”

While the finals gave Greene the tournament trophy, it was a championship-like semifinals that ended a string of losses to the powerful Olympians.

Tied at 1-1 in overtime, Alyssa David broke up a Marathon fast break leading to a Carlin timeout. As the seconds ticked down, Crumb cracked a long hit from the sideline that made its way deep into the penalty circle. Conroe took the ball off the goalie’s pads and iced the contest. “What was great is that when one of our kids made a mistake, another one stepped up,” Carlin said. “Devyn Staley made some outstanding saves for us to keep the game tied.”

Smith scored the game’s first goal less than 10 minutes into the game. Conroe made a long pass to Smith, who dribbled the ball into shooting range and fired in a strike past the Marathon cage-minder.

The Olympians controlled much of the second half, and tied the contest with 6:50 left to force extra minutes. “We knew that team would come back with some fire,” Carlin said of her Friday opponent.

Oxford dropped finals of 2-1 to Harpursville on Friday and 3-0 to Marathon in the consolation game.

Amanda Marks had a second-half goal, the lone tally for the Blackhawks.


Greene 2, Harpursville 0

(0-0 at half)

Goals-assists: (G) Anna Crumb 1-0, Erin Smith 1-0, Christine Conroe, 0-1, Andrea Day 0-1.

Saves: Ashley Hall (H) 7; Devyn Staley (G) 4.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 25% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook