County Debates FAA Grant To Fix Airport Tarmac
Published: July 20th, 2018
By: Shawn Magrath

NORWICH – County officials are moving forward with plans to improve the Lt. Warren Eaton Airport, though not without debate over the airport’s worth to the community.

The county approved a $1 million construction project last week that will breathe new life into the airport apron (also known as a tarmac) which airport administrators say will make the it safer for incoming planes and jets.

To front costs, the county has accepted a grant through the Federal Aviation Administration that will cover 90 percent the total costs. The remaining 10 percent will be paid evenly by state and local dollars, putting the county on the hook for $52,000 to be paid from a trust fund that was created specifically for airport maintenance.

But paying any amount – be it through trust fund or tax dollars – was questioned at July’s County Board of Supervisors meeting by Columbus Supervisor Tom Grace. Grace argued that investments in the airport are all the cost without any of the benefit, and that money is simply better spent elsewhere.

“I don’t object to spending public money on public service, but I see this as a private airport,” Grace said. “You can’t just go down there, hop on an airplane, and go anywhere unless you own a plane. It’s a private service. It serves some people very well; but of our 49,500 people, almost 1 percent use it and 99 percent pay for it. It’s public only in the sense of who pays for it.”

“The trust isn’t going to sustain many more million-dollar projects,” he added, citing the county’s acceptance of more than $12 million in FAA grants over the years, each with a 5 percent local share kicked-in by the county. “Eventually, we’re going to tax people directly for a service they can’ t use.”

..


Share This Story!


More Stories


MAC volleyball hands out all-star selections

Fire department responds to three fires at the same home in four days

Chobani launches new product, aims to raise $1 million for military families

MAC Girls Soccer All-Stars announced

This week's football contest winner is...

Chenango County welcomes volunteer driver program

Holiday season approaches
Holiday season approaches

Norwich Firefighters Association donates to Stanford Gibson milk fund
Norwich Firefighters Association donates to Stanford Gibson milk fund

Florida recount chugs along as more irregularities surface
Florida recount chugs along as more irregularities surface

NHS Tennis end of season awards
NHS Tennis end of season awards

pennysaver logo
greatgetaways logo
Official Evening Sun Facebook
Official Evening Sun Twitter