Juror speaks out following menacing trial

NORWICH – Following the acquittal of a Coventry man for the violent felony of menacing a police officer, a juror from the trial chose to speak out.

The juror, who will remain anonymous, said the prosecution ultimately did not make its case, and therefore the jury could not convict the defendant, Kevin Nickerson.

It was alleged that the defendant loaded a Marlin 30-30 rifle amid a one and a half to two hour standoff and held it to his chin, then pointed it at Chenango County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Anthony Lawrence. The prosecution said the evidence would show that Nickerson told Lawrence “I’m going to fill you full of lead,” or words to that effect.

According to a member of the jury, Nickerson was not guilty of the accused actions.

“The officers statements were definitely not in sync to say the least,” said the juror. “Also, there were supposed to be five officers on the scene but there was only one report filed.”

The juror said that the one report filed was for admitting Nickerson into Binghamton General Hospital. “And even that only stated menacing in the second degree, that he (Nickerson) wanted them (the police) to shoot him. Nothing with regard to threatening Tony (CCSO deputy) was previously stated.”

The juror said there was little to no evidence brought before them.

“What little (evidence) they had was taken more than a year after the incident, with the exception of the rifle,” said the juror.

“They did not even test the rifle until May 9 of this year, to see if it was operable, which is pretty much irrelevant anyhow,” the juror explained.

The juror said, “The defense did okay, I guess, but the prosecution and its witnesses pretty much won the case for them. It seemed like the prosecution and its witnesses scrambled and rushed to put this case together, and it was very unorganized to say the least.”

Additionally, the juror said that, “it would have been nice to have learned who made the initial 911 call when the incident was taking place.”

“There was a lot more to it,” said the jury member. “The rebuttal witnesses seemed completely scripted and we all felt that way.”

The juror added, “I know I am worried about tickets now, as the officers that testified did not look at all happy with us in any way, shape, or form.”

“We only deliberated for approximately 45 minutes,” said the juror. The group then rendered a not guilty verdict, and Nickerson was free to go.

If Nickerson had been convicted of the charge, he would have been facing between two and eight years in the New York State Department of Corrections.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook