Fire In Bainbridge Claims Home
Published: June 1st, 2021
By: Zachary Meseck

BAINBRIDGE – An electrical fire in Bainbridge claimed a home over the weekend, and officials said the cause was likely an electrical cord that was drawing too much power.

According to Chenango County Fire Bureau Coordinator Matthew Beckwith, a call was received at approximately 4:46 p.m. on Saturday with the caller stating a fully involved house fire was occurring on Lyon Road in Bainbridge.

“No one was injured in the incident although I believe the homeowner was there at the time of the fire,” said Beckwith. “According to the fire chief on scene, the homeowner had extension cords running across the floor of the home, and was running an appliance with a heavy electrical draw off of it.”

Story Continues Below Adverts

“The cord failure is believed to be the cause of the fire, and the home is a total loss.”

Beckwith said the Bainbridge Fire Department was assisted by Afton, Coventry, and Sidney fire departments. He said The American Red Cross also assisted on the scene.


The Evening Sun

Continue reading your article with a Premium Evesun Membership

View Membership Options