SMITHVILLE – A Smithville house and barn were destroyed in a fire on Sunday and one firefighter was injured while crews fought the blaze.
The home was unoccupied at that time.
According to Genegantslet Fire Company Chief Ken Whitmore, a 911 caller reported a house and barn fire at approximately 11 a.m. Sunday in the Town of Smithville.
“This is probably one of the worst fires I’ve seen in my 18 year career,” Whitmore said. “The house and barn were nearly 100 percent involved when we arrived, and we were on scene for about six hours.”
“Fortunately no one was in the home at the time of the fire, but one firefighter did receive burns.”
Whitmore said the home was the victim’s second home, and that likely contributed to the delayed 911 call.
He said that while there was another residence somewhat close by, his biggest concern was the high voltage power lines that received fire damage. He added that the excellent work of the other departments that provided mutual aid helped make the scene easier to handle and safer to work in.