Norwich Man Greeted By Parade Following COVID-19 Recovery

By: Zachary Meseck

Norwich man greeted by parade following COVID-19 recovery Friends and family held a parade for Famolaro upon his arrival home Friday evening. (Submitted photo)

NORWICH - Michael Famolaro was greeted by friends and family members following his trip home from the Bassett Medical Center in Cooperstown after winning his battle with the coronavirus.

According to Famolaro’s relative Kimberly Boyer, Famolaro was diagnosed with the coronavirus on April 27, after suffering from what appeared to be only flu-like symptoms.

“A week before then he just wasn’t feeling right, it wasn’t overly concerning at the time, but he just thought they were flu-like symptoms,” said Boyer. “The next day, on April 28, doctors were concerned about his oxygen levels.”

Story Continues Below Adverts

“He was put on a ventilator and sedated for comfort.”

Boyer said Famolaro spent weeks on and off of ventilators until he broke through the virus and was officially off of ventilators with two consecutive negative COVID-19 tests.

Famolaro’s daughter Nicole Monroe said his children had regular Zoom meetings with him throughout his stay at the hospital, and were very impressed with the professionalism and care of the hospital staff.

“I don’t think he could have been in better hands,” said Monroe. “We eventually saw him in person, and it was so much harder than seeing him over the computer screen.”

“I saw it for 20 something days through the screen, and I cried more in my first in-person meeting than I did throughout that whole time period.”

Monroe said being able to see Famolaro in person with the aid of hospital staff was greatly appreciated, and that it’s impossible to see what family members are going through without being able to be there in person.

“The coronavirus is real and it has a huge impact on the individuals and their families,” she said. “Celebrate life with your loved ones everyday. We’re very lucky to have him alive.”

Story Continues Below Adverts

Boyer added that the process wasn’t easy, but that she is incredibly grateful for everyone who supported her family during those difficult times.

“Mike was basically on his stomach for 16 hours a day hooked up to a ventilator until he recovered,” said Boyer. “We love him, and there are so many people that love him in our community,”

“We wanted to celebrate him, and this is a great way to welcome him home.”


Official Evening Sun Facebook

pennysaver logo
Shop4Autos logo
greatgetaways logo
Official Evening Sun Twitter