Whitney Point Earns Tournament Title In Greene

By: Cameron Turner

Whitney Point earns tournament title in Greene

GREENE – The two day Greene Boys Basketball Holiday Tournament did not disappoint with the outings either day.

The first day of the tournament was on Dec. 29, and saw Whitney Point beat Oxford and host Greene defeat the Marathon Olympians.

Greene scored 30 points in the fourth quarter of their first game against Marathon. “We did quite well yesterday, we had the fast break going a lot more yesterday,” said Greene’s Head Coach Chris Rice.

This set up the second day as the first game at 5 p.m. which saw Oxford win on a buzzer beater over Marathon to claim third. While the championship game was played at 7 p.m. and saw Whitney point roll over The Trojans to claim first.

In the final game for first place, Whitney point began the game fast with an opening 3 only to see Greene fire back with a two-pointer of their own.

This one-point difference, mere minutes into the game happened to be the closest as Whitney Point would not surrender the lead the rest of the game.

Story Continues Below Adverts

“We played a very good defensive game, to hold Whitney Point to 40 points is a very great job for us though,” said Rice, “But they played a great defensive game on us too, usually we are a fast break team and they shut us right down.”

Whitney Point would win commandingly 40 to 26 over the Trojans.

This loss at the hands of the Olympians ended a five game win streak that Greene had coming into this matchup. Greene still 4-0 in the MAC league takes on Harpursville next Wednesday Jan. 6, 2016.

“We did not play good offense and we didn’t shoot well. Whitney Point is a great team. Now we move on to our MAC schedule,” said Rice.

The third and fourth matchup at 5 p.m. proved to be a nail biter for the fans, as Oxford would only edge Marathon on a last second layup to win 44-43.

“We had a big stop on the other end and got the ball back down the floor. Ran a play we hadn’t run all night and we got a good look,” explained Oxford Head Coach Tim Davis.

The back in forth action continued throughout the contest, however, The Blackhawks managed to fight back at the end of each quarter to lead slightly.

Oxford entered the half leading Marathon 20 to 17.

“Third quarter played well, but fourth quarter we really haven’t been in too many situations like this where we are in tight games and had a lead,” said Davis, “It is a big win for us to maintain our composure and come through with a win; it will do a lot for us.”


The Evening Sun

Continue reading your article with a Premium Evesun Membership

View Membership Options


Official Evening Sun Facebook

pennysaver logo
Shop4Autos logo
greatgetaways logo
Official Evening Sun Twitter