When the “Schools of the Past” for the Town of Norwich were begun with the January 2, 2014 article this district was completely absent from the research that had been accumulated relevant to the history of the township schools. There is documentation on the three maps 1863, 1874, and 1875 that the school site existed, however, in doing the detective work with the assistance of the Chenango County Historian [Patricia Evans] and her Research Assistant [Joan Lieb] extensive documentation was found relevant to the above district. The wealth of information is the documentation of the school attendance records 1842-1862 and assorted annual trustee’s reports. In this and future articles, the school history and financial obligations, will be written, and as has been written previously – “stay tuned in on this serial documentation.”
To record all the information available will not be possible and it is hoped that the readers of The Evening Sun will enjoy the assorted facts and figures of both this article and ones to follow.
The first documentation is dated October 4, 1842 when James Tucker, Elisha Franklin and Leroy Shattuck were elected trustees of #15 and on October 12th would see Jonathan T. Barrows retained to teach four months [winter school] for $12.50 per month. In the spring of 1843 Anne Celia Childs was retained for three months [summer school] at $4.50 per month. This spread of the difference between winter and summer terms relevant to pay was not uncommon throughout all the districts of Chenango County,
Documented at this time that the location of District #15 school site was at what is now the south side of the intersection of the Lower and Upper Ravine Road just south of the City of Norwich and was located on the land owned by Shattuck. The school district was partially in the Town of Preston and in 1843 #15 received $5.55 in public land money from that township. Expenses for 1843 included $.25 paid to W. Willcox for account books and the same amount and received $.50 from G. Hicks for the same purpose. Leroy Shattuck paid $50.00 to Gordon T. Barrows, but no documentation as to what this amount was paid for, and Edwin Button received $.75 for washing the schoolhouse. Other expenses were $3.96 to Chapman Gilbert for books, $.30 for blackboard, $.12 for journal, $1.25 for 2 account books, and still later a receipt was included for $11.00 for a 9” globe.