CHENANGO COUNTY – A total 166 students across Chenango County refused the first round of Common Core testing of the year, according to local school officials, and some schools expect those numbers to be even higher when the state issues more testing at the end of the month.
Last week's English Language Arts testing for grades 3-8 had critics of the Common Core advocating for test refusals across New York State. With the upcoming Common Core math tests scheduled April 30 through May 2, many district leaders are concerned about how the number of refusals will ultimately affect crucial state and federal funding.
Of the eight schools located in Chenango County, test refusals by the numbers are as follows:
• Afton Central School District: 2 students
• Bainbridge-Guilford Central School District: 4 students
• Greene Central School District: 0 students
• Norwich City School District: 26 students
• Otselic Valley Central School District: 5 students
• Oxford Central School District: 4 students..