Fire destroys Guilford home

GUILFORD – Fire crews went to work early Tuesday morning when they received a call for a house fire in the Town of Guilford.

The Guilford Fire Department – with mutual aid from the Oxford, Mount Upton, South New Berlin and Norwich fire departments – responded to a fire reported by the homeowner at 459 Keech Road shortly after 1 a.m. According to 911 dispatchers, three people were living in the house but all made it out safely.

“The structure of the house itself is a total loss; but as far as their belongings go, they should be able save many of those,” said Guilford Fire Chief Ken Haynes.

Firefighters involved did a good job in knocking out the blaze, he added. “It was a good save.”

Investigators believe the fire started at the fireplace of the two-story modular home, then worked its way up the chimney and spread into the attic. Crews stayed on the scene nearly four hours and were called back twice after for a rekindle. Guilford crews finally returned to the station shortly after 9 a.m.

The Red Cross of Chenango County has been contacted to work with the family.

Haynes said one Guilford firefighter was taken away in an ambulance after twisting his knee while loading a fire hose on the scene.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook