First Responders Kept Busy Over The Weekend
Published: August 28th, 2013
By: Kevin Doonan

CHENANANGO COUNTY – First responders throughout the county where kept busy this weekend by an number of motor vehicle accidents and two fires.

• A two-car motor vehicle accident occurred on Friday, at approximately 2:44 p.m. near the Hess Station located at 5644 state Highway 12. The Oxford Fire Department and a Cooperstown Medical Transport ambulance responded to the reported accident as the Norwich Fire Department was handling another motor vehicle accident at the time. Two individuals were subsequently transported by CMT to UHS Chenango Memorial.

• At approximately 4:52 p.m. Friday, the South Otselic Fire Department, with mutual aid from Plymouth, responded to a structure fire at 685 Billy Brown Rd. in the Town of South Otselic. Upon arrival first responders were faced with a two-door garage engulfed in flames and located an estimated 20 feet from the house. Firefighters were able to knock out the fire within a half-hour and prevented it from spreading to the residence. The garage however was completely destroyed.

• A motor vehicle pulled over onto the shoulder of the road near the intersection of county Road 10 and county Road 19 at 6:17 p.m. Friday. The shoulder however, did not provide the vehicle with a suitable parking spot. As a result, the vehicle rolled onto its side in the adjacent ditch. No one was injured.

• Saturday, at approximately 4:25 p.m., a two-car accident occurred at 53 North Main St. in New Berlin. The accident took place in the parking lot of Red Apple Food Market and resulted in only a minor injury thanks to the low speed of the vehicles.

• Sunday, at approximately 2:52 p.m., the Norwich Fire Department responded to a reported fire at 14 Nattle Street on the corner of Taylor Street. Norwich firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in short order. Although the damage was not extensive, the building was condemned as a result of the fire. Authorities believe the fire started with a charcoal grill which caught the porch on fire and spread up the side of the house. Electricity and water had to be stopped to the residence and piping had to be cut. The residents are currently being aided by the Red Cross, which has helped provide temporary living arraignments. – Kevin Doonan