First responders kept busy with multiple incidents occurring across the county

CHENANGO COUNTY – A number of incidents occurring across the county yesterday and early this morning kept first responders busy.

• The Greene Fire Department responded to reports of smoke coming out of an apartment at approximately 12:04 p.m. yesterday at the senior housing complex in Greene located at 25 Birdsall St. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the smoke was mostly due to an open flame on a stove in one apartment. Responders extinguished the fire with ease but many residents were temporarily evacuated due to the smoke. No injures were reported.

• Another more damaging fire occurred late last night at approximately 11:18 p.m. in the Town of North Norwich. The North Norwich Fire Department – with mutual aid from the Norwich and Sherburne fire departments – responded to a garage fire at 160 county Road 23A. The fire approached conflagration levels, causing extensive damage to the building and engulfing one vehicle housed within before it was successfully doused by firefighters at approximately 11:48 p.m. First responders stayed on the scene for approximately one more hour before returning to their respective stations at 1 a.m.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 39% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook