Municipalities recieve FEMA assistance for flood recovery; no help for homeowners

CHENANGO COUNTY – Nearly one month after heavy flooding ravaged parts of the county, local legislatures are still awaiting detailed damage reports from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to determine how much in federal assistance area municipalities will receive for repairs to local infrastructure.

FEMA and local officials will work together in the coming weeks to survey the damage caused by flooding. Upon completion of the survey, municipalities and not-for-profit organizations that have accumulated more than $1,000 in damages will be eligible for 75 percent the cost of repairs through FEMA. The remaining 25 percent will be split between state and county, each kicking in 12.5 percent.

“We might not have qualified for FEMA assistance to homeowners, but getting a little help for non-profits and municipalities is definitely helpful,” said Chenango County Emergency Management Coordinator Matthew Beckwith.

Estimated flood damage in Sherburne alone tops $810,000, Beckwith added. Town supervisors across the county have been encouraged to work with their respective highway superintendents to identify other areas of concern that may help them qualify for public assistance.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 31% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook