Greene makes it four straight Barrows/Bromley titles


GREENE – Greene’s field hockey tradition began with Nancy Bromley and was carried forward by her longtime assistant, Nancy Barrows. What has also become an annual rite is a championship victory in the Barrows and Bromley Tournament as the host Trojans won the annual tourney for the fourth time in as many years defeating Whitney Point Saturday night, 4-1.

It was Greene’s third win in five days against state-tournament-caliber competition. Friday, a late second-half goal allowed the host club to squeak by Maine-Endwell, 1-0. Just three days earlier, Greene beat Spartans in another hard-fought league game.

“There is a big tradition here, and the kids understand who Nancy Bromley is and what she means to our program,” said Greene coach Sue Carlin, who played for Bromley during the first years of the program. “Before the final game, we invited Nancy to drop the ball at midfield. She walked out with the team. It was a special moment.”

Just as special was Greene’s offense in the second half. After Whitney Point’s Amanda Collins tied the game at 25:25, the Trojans fired right back with the go-ahead goal 62 seconds later. Jahna Driscoll blasted in a shot following a penalty corner pass from Emma Anderson. “Amanda made a phenomenal reverse-stick shot in the circle,” Carlin said. “You could see that it fired up our kids because we came right back and scored.”

Seven minutes after Driscoll’s goal, Anderson was awarded a penalty stroke, and made her shot true for the two-shot margin. Anderson added another goal later in the half with Driscoll providing the assist.

Friday night, the Trojans struggled to make anything happen on the left side, that is, until Carlin substituted reserve Shiann Johns. Johns, who fills in at midfield, left wing or right wing, took no more than a minute to provide the margin of victory.

Greene cleared out a M-E free hit to Driscoll, who drove up the right side of the field and toward the right side of the penalty circle. Driscoll’s accurate pass to the left wing was one-timed into the cage by Johns with 8:39 left.

“It was really tight, and we knew it was going to be a battle Friday,” Carlin said. “We just couldn’t get anything going against their right side, but Shiann was able to step up. Different people were stepping up for us the whole game, and Shiann came in and got the job done.”

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 26% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook