State picks up Chenango’s flood related costs

NORWICH – Promised New York State funds that would pay for some of Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee costs haven’t come in yet, but the county’s public works director said he’s certain they will.

Usually the Federal Emergency Management Agency pays for 75 percent of costs associated with emergency recovery, with local and state governments splitting the remaining 25 percent. Under Governor Andrew Cuomo’s direction, the state will pick up the local share for most eligible expenses. In Chenango County, the amount expected is $1.57 million.

Chenango County Department of Public Works Director Shawn Fry said the county was beginning to see the federal government’s share coming in. FEMA is reimbursing between $2.5 and $3 million worth of the county’s repairs.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 30% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook