NEW BERLIN – A two-story structure fire in the village of New Berlin last night at approximately 5:30 p.m. has left a family homeless.
According to New Berlin Fire Chief Shawn Patrick, the fire at the 80 S. Main St. home of Travis and Ashley Welch was under control within 20 minutes, at which point a small group entered the home to determine the fire’s source.
“Preliminary results indicate that it was an electrical fire,” said Patrick. “And that’s what we’re going with until the insurance company does their investigation.”
The fire was discovered by homeowner Travis Welch, who reported that the fire began in the living room.
Patrick stated that the damage was mostly confined to a few small rooms on the first floor. However, he reported that there was a significant amount of smoke damage on both floors...