Stapled electrical wire to blame for South New Berlin fire   View the Photo Gallery

SOUTH NEW BERLIN – A stapled electrical wire in the basement of a 113 Beadle Lane home is being blamed for a fire that completely destroyed the home of Paul and Mary Anne Squires early Saturday afternoon.

Fire crews from South New Berlin, New Berlin, North Norwich, Norwich, Mt. Upton and Gilbertsville responded to the fire, which began in the basement and quickly extended up into the first floor and roof of the dwelling, reported Norwich Fire Chief Tracy Chawgo.

The Squires, along with their infant granddaughter and two dogs, were able to evacuate the house and no one was injured, he added. According to South New Berlin Fire Chief Kevin Christian, first on the scene, a third dog, unable to exit the home on its own, was rescued. Only the adjoining garage escaped the flames, as well as the couple’s car, truck, motorcycle and tractor.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 30% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook