Again we return to the Township of Greene for another chapter in the history of the one-room schools that dotted the township. This week we are concentrating on a district located in the more central section of the township and the photo which accompanies this article had the inscription that this schoolhouse is located on County Road #2 near the blinker light of N.Y.S. Route 206. The photo will show that this former educational institution has been converted to a private home. Thank goodness for small favors, it could have been torn down, burned or even worse turned to a storage facility or left to deteriorate till is fell in ruins as has been the case with several of the abandoned “schools of the past.”
The deed for the property is documented as follows: “Along the Genegantslet: Reuben Peck, Zachariah Bradley, David Winchell, Samuel Carpenter, David Bradley, Israel Carter, Thomas Upham, Henry Beals, Hester Ketchum, Morris B. Adams, Thomas D. Walker, Ashael B. Holcomb and Benjamin Harrington. This writer has not researched this deed and is in ignorance as to whether all these gentlemen owned the land the original school was located on or what? This whole research project in itself and since the history of the Greene district schools is extensive, will be postponed until a later date. As has been written numerous times before, the pages of the book remain open for future inclusions.
District #9 came into existence in 1826 and would serve the area designated by district lines until 1941 when centralization became popular and then closed. During the life span of active use the district lines would be changed many times. Details of these many changes are as follows: