Sherburne reaches out to help couple left homeless after fire

SHERBURNE – The Sherburne American Legion will be hosting a goodwill breakfast Saturday for a retired couple who lost their home in a fire about three weeks ago.

From 7 a.m. to noon on Saturday, members of the Sherburne American Legion Post 876 will be collecting donations and offering proceeds from their pancake breakfast to help the family rebuild.

Charles Wilcox and his wife Lisa were injured Aug. 28 after they awoke to the beeping of a detector as smoked filled their bedroom just after 3 a.m. They couple crawled out an emergency window and called 911.

Charles’ sister, Jane Mondore, speaking for the family Monday, said her older brother was treated for severe smoke inhalation and released from the hospital four days after the fire.

She explained Charles ran back into the house with a garden hose in an attempt to save the couple’s possessions and pets, but was overcome by smoke.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 29% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook