Sherburne man hospitalized after fire destroys home

SHERBURNE – A Sherburne couple awoke at just after 3 a.m. Saturday as their bedroom filled with smoke and their home burned.

Jane Mondore, speaking for the family Monday, said her older brother Charles Wilcox and his wife Lisa were the only two occupants in the trailer and escaped through an emergency window.

As the fire continued to burn through nearly all their worldly possessions, Charles went back in with a garden hose in an attempt to save what he could.

When firemen arrived, they treated Lisa for minor smoke inhalation, but Charles Wilcox suffered more severe smoke related injuries and was taken to Community Memorial Hospital in Hamilton. Later Saturday, he was transferred to the intensive care unit at Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, where he remained in stable condition as of Monday night, explained his sister.

Mondore also said doctors are optimistic that Charles, who is in his mid 70s, could be released as early as Tuesday evening.

“If they did not have working smoke alarms, this would have been much worse. They were asleep and awoke to alarms,” said Sherburne Fire Chief Patrick Lawrence, adding the fire quickly spread.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 29% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook