Building inspector thanked for saving lives

NORWICH – Receiving gratitude, especially from the public, is not what most code enforcement officers expect. For the most part, it’s a thankless job.

But that’s what transpired Tuesday, Aug. 2 at the scene of a late-night fire in Afton. When called to the site at 1:45 a.m. to analyze the structure for habitability, Chenango County Building Inspector Steve Fox said one of the four residents - all who survived the calamity - thanked him for giving her smoke detectors to install.

“She said I saved her life, and thanked me,” said Fox.

Afton, Harpursville, Coventry, Bainbridge and Sanitaria Springs fire departments and the Chenango County Bureau of Fire all responded to the 11:23 p.m. blaze at the two-story residence. The home suffered extensive water, smoke, and structural damages and was deemed unsafe to live in.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 31% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook