NORTH NORWICH – A fire consumed the home of a Plymouth volunteer fireman late Saturday night, injuring two young children and destroying all of the family’s belongings.
Norwich Fire Chief Tracy Chawgo said crews responded to a 911 call of a fire in progress with the home’s occupants trapped inside.
“The four men at the station immediately jumped into the ambulance and left for the scene,” said Chawgo.
The call came in at about midnight on Saturday at a single-wide trailer located inside the Valley View Trailer Park in the Town of North Norwich.
When the Norwich EMS Ambulance arrived, rescuers found the family standing outside of the building, but their home was completely engulfed in flames.
The trailer was home to Plymouth firefighter Norman Hebert, his wife and four children. With the exception of one daughter, they were all asleep when the fire began.
An 8-year-old boy was taken by Cooperstown Medical Transport to the SUNY Upstate Medical University at Syracuse with minor burns and smoke inhalation. Another child was taken to Chenango Memorial Hospital with minor smoke inhalation, said Chawgo...