Power surge leads to a minor explosion and evacuation of The Eaton Center

NORWICH – An minor explosion and fire took place in The Eaton Center’s basement Thursday morning at around 9:50.

Chenango County Fire Coordinator Matthew L. Beckwith said emergency crews were called after a transformer in the building’s basement exploded and caught fire. The office building’s fire alarms activated and all employees were evacuated to the nearby Morrisville State College Norwich Campus. No injuries were reported.

Norwich Fire Chief Tracy Chawgo said plumbers hired by the center were working in the area of the transformer, which he described as “an electrical generator the size of a fire truck,” when the accident occurred.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 32% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook