Ice and fire cause Afton home to be lost

AFTON – Monday evening what started as a chimney fire swept through a remote Afton home, causing significant damage and making the structure a total loss.

“It was a battle of the elements,” said Chenango County Fire Coordinator Matthew L. Beckwith.

Beckwith said the 50 firefighters from Afton, Coventry, Greene, Bainbridge, Harpursville, Sidney, Masonville and Hancock had to struggle to reach the residence of Ronnie Ford along Howe Lane in the Town of Afton. The house was located approximately 1,900 feet from the road.

Beckwith said crews had used heavy five inch diameter hose to reach the blaze down the narrow, private road. Crews also had to march to the site from the road in below freezing weather that caused complications, including a hose line break and one of the fire trucks freezing.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 33% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook