Carbon monoxide a danger in winter months

CHENANGO COUNTY – The dangers of carbon monoxide are well known, but many households still do not have carbon monoxide detectors, leaving them vulnerable to the dangers of the deadly gas.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is created by fuel burning equipment. Without proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can build up in a home and cause serious health risks or even death.

While the detectors are becoming a more common sight in many homes, many people do not have them, according to City of Norwich Code Enforcement Officer Jason Lawrence. Earlier this year, local fire departments responded to a carbon monoxide incident that sent several individuals to the hospital.

Fire Chief Tracy Chawgo explained that with a depressed economy and the high cost of heating fuel, he is afraid individuals will try to supplement their heat by using propane heaters or other items meant for outdoor use, leaving them at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 33% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook