Contractors accidentally cause fire at CMH

NORWICH – Sparks created by contractors replacing a large machine were the cause of a fire at Chenango Memorial Hospital Tuesday.

Vern Harris, owner of Vern Harris Rigging Co. of Port Leyden, said his men were using a torch to cut away rusted bolts in the medical waste disposal area when sparks flew underneath part of the industrial shredder they were replacing, lighting waste paper and plastic on fire and sending a column of thick smoke into the air during the lunch hour that could be seen throughout the city.

There's more to this story! You're only seeing 34% of the story. Subscribe now to get immediate access to the rest of the story as well as our whole online offering.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook