Firefighters respond to VCR blaze

NORTH NORWICH – This morning at around 10 a.m., North Norwich, Norwich and New Berlin fire crews were called to respond to a house fire on Guile Road in the Town of North Norwich.

The fire started in the bedroom of Elaine Woods, who was at work at the time. Her tenant, Edward J. Rooney, called the fire department after discovering the fire. Rooney suffered from smoke inhalation while attempting to get the household pets out and control the blaze, said fire officials. Rooney was taken to Chenango Memorial Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

The source of the fire appeared to be electrical, said officials at the scene. Apparently a VCR set to turn on and record at 10 a.m. malfunctioned and ignited the blaze. The fire was contained in the bedroom by firefighters, but the rooms suffered severe smoke damage. Woods’ bedroom walls and windows were torn open in order to control the fire.

Woods said she felt distraught. “It’s horrible, I just wish it hadn’t happened,” she said.

Today's Other Stories

© 2018 Snyder Communications/The Evening Sun
29 Lackawanna Avenue, Norwich, NY 13815 - (607) 334-3276
Create an Account Forgot Password Help
pennysaver logo greatgetaways logo
We're on Facebook