EDITOR’S NOTE: The Bricks & Mortar Report will provide updates every Monday on major construction projects in Chenango County.
Alteren Hotel & Resort Center:
• Stephen E. Stark said he has “paused” his plans to build a $62 million, 2000-acre resort and hotel complex upon the eastern slope of East River Road overlooking the county’s seat. The developer reported last week that New York Regional Interconnect, Inc.’s power line project has “devastated” his fundraising capabilities. He currently spends only 5 percent of his time on Alteren.
• Stark announced his huge economic investment in the Town of Norwich back in 2003 with set a 2004 groundbreaking date. Today, the development “could be years” away, he said.
County Route 32 project:
• Inclement weather has prevented road workers from applying the top course of pavement down on county Route 32, Project Engineer Larry Shaw said. The project is nearly a month behind the most recent schedule.
• Once paving is completed, crews can move onto blacktopping the approximately 50 driveways affected by the road enhancement project.
• Other work remaining includes trimming, laying top soil, seeding and mulching the stretch from Dan Main Road south to the Halfway House Bridge.
• The project is the second phase of an $8 million undertaking to upgrade county Route 32. Phase I upgraded Route 32 from the Dan Main Road north to state Route 23, and ended in September 2003.
• The county continues to wait for state right-of-way approvals in order to begin constructing a new, 12B bridge connecting 32 and state Route 12, DPW Director Randy Gibbon said Friday.