NORWICH – Jury selection in the murder trial of a New Jersey man accused of murdering a 12-year-old Otselic girl was supposed to begin this morning, but the case was rescheduled earlier in November for an unspecified date in 2009.
“The case has been rescheduled with no determined date at this point,” said Senior Assistant Clerk Rose Grady from the Chenango County Court Clerk’s Office.
Jury selection was scheduled to begin today for the trial of George Ford Jr., 42, of Piscataway, N.J., who is charged with second degree murder for allegedly causing the intentional death of Shyanne A. Somers, 12, South Otselic, on July 8, 2007.
First Assistant Stephen M. Dunshee said the case was postponed by Broome County Court Judge Joseph Cawley at the request of the defense. Cawley took over the case after County Court Judge W. Howard Sullivan recused himself.