OXFORD – An eleven-year-old boy who had 70 percent of his body covered in third and second degree burns has returned home and will begin attending regular classes on Monday.
The boy, Tiger, says he feels “good, good and happy.”
Tiger’s injuries included burns to his face, neck and chest. “I heard about it at work, I was petrified,” said Tiger’s father, Steve Apgar.
On Sept. 13, emergency crews rushed to the scene of an apparent chemical fire explosion at the apartment complex on Chenango Street, Oxford.
Tiger and another boy age 12 were playing with a dangerous fluid solution comprised of 25 percent “nitro fluid,” commonly found in radio-controlled racing cars.
Sean M. Rose, 19, had allegedly discarded the container in the apartment dumpster. Police later charged Rose with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, for tossing the quart-sized bottle of nitro fuel into dumpster. Tiger said Rose came over to him and the other boy and yelled at them not to go near the dumpster.