This week we are still traveling down N.Y.S. Route 8 to a little hamlet known as White Store which is actually located in the Town of Norwich, however the school districts were in the Town of New Berlin. A little deviation in history is necessary at times. In the heyday of the small hamlets, White Store contained the White Store church, post office, two groceries, grist mill and was important in the settling of the area as many pioneers traveled west to the Chenango Valley from the Unadilla. However, we will not dwell on extensive history as it will be again documented with the Town of Norwich district schools.
District #5 schoolhouse is not longer standing, but the historical information and photo credit must be given to the Nathan Taylor Yorker Club of South New Berlin and to Gary Burke for the photo. The deed information relevant to this schoolhouse is quote verbatim from the information researched by the Yorkers:
Book 78 page #162: “John P. Harris sole to Alva Babcock and Samuel Whitman on June 14, 1848 the following: ‘This indenture made the 14th day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty-eight between John P. Harris of the town of New Berlin, County of Chenango, State of New York of the first part and Alvah Babcock and Samuel Williams, grantees of school district #5 town of New Berlin and County of Chenango of the second part witnesses that the first part of the second part for and in consideration of the sum of five dollars to him in hand paid by the parties of the second part of the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged has remised releases. Recorded June 15, 1848 by Elisha Simmons, Justice of the Peace. Roper, and Thomas Crandall as grantees (or trustees) the following parcel of land located in South New Berlin, north side of highway towards Norwich consisting of 1/2 acre. Note: there was no monetary amount listed.”