To all the readers of “Schools of the Past” the documentation of the Guilford schools was extensive and a total of 38 articles were written, this ranks first in the number written with Greene running a close second. It time to travel to the other end of the county for a look at the history of the one-room schools in the Town of Lincklaen, but first a brief look as the history of the township itself.
For the history related in the following paragraphs credit has to be given to Smith’s History of Chenango County and to the late Marion Poole for her writings relevant to Lincklaen.
Lincklaen formed from German, April 12, 1823 and a part of Pitcher was taken off in 1827 and yet another parcel in 1833. Lincklaen derives its name from Col. John Lincklaen, agent of the Holland Land Company and founder of Cazenovia. To all who travel to Syracuse via the many scenic routes available, his ancestral home is located in Cazenovia overlooking the “Cazenovia Lake” and is open to the public for tours. It is also the scene of many public affairs throughout the tourist season. As a side note, with the escalating gasoline prices, the tourism business in the State of New York might be slightly hard-pressed in this year 2012, as most historic sites and museums depend on the revenue from the “tourist trade.”