On occasion with the almost complete loss of information, this series of articles is written with two district schools of a particular township. Such is the case this week, but perhaps all is well that ends well as the majority of the population is occupied with holiday preparations.
The map which shows with this article gives us a location of the school site in the 1875 Atlas of Chenango County. Bear in mind that County Route 35 and New York State Route 8 have been upgraded and changed since this was first published. This early schoolhouse when the first one was built was near the covered bridge which crosses the Unadilla River at East Guilford (New Berlin Junction). Misfortune was the fate of the first schoolhouse as it burned and a new was built down on the four corners. We will assume that the covered bridge was up river a short distance from the one now crossing the river.
After the closing of this District #17 and it was probably due to lack of attendance the building was empty for a number of years. In 1969 the Presbyterian Church was either given this building, or purchased it and moved it to be attached to the rear of the Church edifice and to be used as Sunday school rooms and most likely meeting rooms. The how, when, where and what concerning this building is, at this time a mystery to this writer. However, with Tom Gray’s (Guilford historian) new book relevant to the school a district in the Guilford Township is published, perhaps these mysteries will be solved.