The travel route of the one-room schools of the Guilford Township takes us this week south from Van Buren’s Corners to yet another corners – Windsor’s Corners which to all who are unfamiliar with the area is approximately 2 1/2 (county road 36) miles from Guilford Center. Once again this writer is referring to documentation written by the late Walter Ubele and is basically quoted as he wrote it.
“Among the several schools that were still teaching the Three R’s well into the 1930s was the school known as Winsor’s Corners School. This was the schoolhouse of District #16. It was still in operation as late as 1931, perhaps later.”
Not to be repetitive - the school was located at what is now the first crossroads of the Guilford Center-Norwich Turnpike. The area was well populated, considering the time. Families living within a short distance were the Winsors, the Youngs, the Gridleys, Sheltons and Reynolds. The Ireland family and the Weidman family also lived nearby. As a matter of fact, Syrena Ireland and Doris Weidman were students in that one school term ending June 1931.
Of course, there was studying, work, and learning, plus exams in this school as in any other. Scholarship was important! But there were good times, too. The biggest highlight of the School year in the District Schools was the Annual School Fair. The following is a direct quote from the 1931 issue of “The Pinnacle.”