This week we will continue with the extensive information from the 1909-10 school catalogue relevant to the information regarding the school itself. Not to be repetitive, the photo accompanying this article gives us a different view of the school with the addition to the front and fortunately a photo of the students who attended.
Fourth - The Laboratory: “The laboratory now contains apparatus sufficient for conducting individual laboratory courses in biology (physiology, zoology, botany) and physics. The notebooks of all students taking these courses during te years 1908-09 were approved by the State Inspector. The courses in science will be made so far as possible to be of practical advantage to those who pursue them.”
Fifth - Other Equipment: “Charts, maps, globes, models and special outline maps for history work, are supplies for work in the Sciences, Mathematics and Drawing, for both academic department and the grades. The Tiffany Industrial Nature Cabinet is used throughout the school.”
Sixth - Philorthians: “In the fall of 1907 the boys of the Academic department organized a debating society. The purpose of the society is to furnish drill in speaking and practice in extemporaneous and prepared debating. The society meets on Monday evenings twice each month. The meetings are held in the school building under the direct supervision of the Principal.”
Seventh - Athletic: “Believing that clean athletic contests are not only something to be endured, but that they are of actual benefit to the average school boy, the Principal encouraged the boys to take part in athletics. The Mount Upton school team has no apology to make for its past record and believes that the team of 1910 worthy of support.”