GREENE – After months with a conservator, a historic map believed to have been copied from Joseph Juliand’s original land grant map is back at the Greene Historical Society Museum. During the extensive conservation process, a surprise discovery was made which has the organization’s history buffs excited.
“It’s an original,” reported GHS President Nancy Bromley.
According to Bromley, the signature of Joseph Juliand himself was discovered beneath a label affixed to the back of the linen on which the map was stitched. The label bore the name of F. Crandall of Brisben.
“Obviously, he acquired the map and placed his name over it,” she explained.
The discovery confirms the map was copied by Juliand himself from his original.
The historical society received the artifact last year, from Greene native Ruth Maxine Filer Thompson, who had inherited it from her mother.
The map, hand-drawn in ink and water color on very fine parchment paper, was stitched to a linen cloth. It depicts the subdivision of the Northeast portion of the township of Greene south and east of the Chenango River, and was identified by an inscription as copied by Juliand on July 1, 1823.