Once again we return the hamlet of Brisben for yet another history of the district school located in that place. In the article of Oct. 21, 2010 #89, this article is #106; we related the available historical data relevant to the then District #2 located in the hamlet and now the Brisben Fire Department headquarters. However the story did not end there as it was to be later changed to Joint District #22 (Greene and Oxford) in 1838 to 1853 at which time it became District #16 and was in service from 1853 to 1953 and is a private dwelling as the photo accompanying this article. Now that this writer has completely confused you, let me continue on!
In the research of the district lines, Mrs. Folsom found the following information relevant to the actual property lines of #16, and to the formation of Joint District #22. However, if other information was recorded, it was not found as the site of the school in the photo cannot be the old District #2 as stated this is the now Brisben Fire Department. Mrs. Folsom’s research did find that in 1837 new District #22 was formed: “all that part of #2 (Greene and Oxford) east of Samuel Wheeler plus all that part of #22 in Oxford west of Dan Loomis, including the farm of Elisha Sanders, east half of lot #60 and the whole of lot #59/tract #3.” Again in 1837, “Part of 22 beginning at the south-east corner ofJ. Johnson, Jr. formerly part of the Julian farm, along south-east of tier of house lots of W.M. Patterson-Ira Watson-others, to River, up to Johnson’s line and the Julian Brothers to road, south to point of beginning - annexed to #4” To fully understand all this land jargon, the old maps would have to be researched! Yet another change occurred in 1838 when the farm of Elisha Sanders and the east half of lot #60/tract 3T was cut off of District #22 (Greene/Oxford and annexed to District #71) which was in Smithville township districts schools.
Again in 1846 the farm of Solomon Lawton (north half of lot #12 was taken from District #20 and annexed to District #22. Again in 1848 the Lewis Julian farm was taken from District #22 and given to District #4 and again in the same year the farm of John M. Chappie was taken from #22 and annexed to #4, in 1849 land of Charles dark and Samuel Jillson was cut off #22 and annexed to District #7.