At times in the never-ending research that all historians are involved in, the lack of information proves to be of great agitation. At other times the wealth of information that is researched and uncovered proves to be a great source of satisfaction. Such is the case with the above district as extensive records were researched and to give proper credit to certain aspects (this writer cannot relate everybody or each detail) as the information would easily fill one page of newsprint.
The above district school was active from the year 1828 to 1942 (112 years) and has been converted to a dwelling. The photo which accompanies this article is of the school and was taken in June of 1911. The students and teacher are identified as follows although not in the order of which the names are given: Agda Stein, Mildred English, Mary Murtaugh, Astrid Stein, Lauretta Mead, Kent (?), Palmer Curtis, Arthur Stein, Myrtie Lyman, Anna Stein, DeWitt (?) and Earl Murtaugh - teacher. Through the course of these extensive articles this writer has been told that the school photos with students are the favorite among readers!
The normal course of history relates that the boundary lines of the school property were not given at the start of the school in operation, however in 1833 lots occupied by Zaimon Smith, Joshua Hill, Seth Fowler and Daniel Brockwaywere annexed to the we assume original plot of land.
The many changes from District 14 (last week’s article) to District #15 need not be repeated, however in 1839 lots 39,40, 55, 60 and 61 and the north half of lot 76/Juhel tract was added to District #15.1841 would see lot 39 occupied by Joab Elliott, Jr. in #15, plus #54 east of highway occupied James G. Pearsons be moved from #22 to #20. We will assume that the extensive district line changes were necessary as to the population of the district. As has been written before most generally the schoolhouses were distanced only about 1-2 miles from scholar’s homes. 1848 would see the east half of lot #4 occupied by Lester Manley in #15 be moved to District #18. 1860 the east half of Lot 38/tract occupied by Samuel Wheeler be removed from #15 and annexed to #48. Advancing to the year 1888 the “wood lot” owned by A. Hunt Smith in District #15 be annexed to #18 (east half of lot 3/Tract M - 38 1/2 acres. Additionally in that same year the farm of G. R. Wheeler, originally in #18 annexed to #15 (the east half of lot 4/Tract M - 40 acres. No further district line changes were found, if they were more, they have been lost to history.