Once again we return to the southwestern section of the Township of Greene for a history of the Fiscal’s Corners District School which was active as an educational institution from 1827 to 1928. All credits for the historical information in all previous and future articles are to be given to Mildred Folsom for her documentation ‘Town of Greene - Rural School Districts” written in 1969. At that time she documented that the school house was converted to a private dwelling and was still standing.
District #6 in the township was located in the southwest section of Greene and in comparison with the latest Chenango County map is located on County Route 1 which runs west just past the Geneganslet Gulf Course on New York State route 12. This writer has not had the opportunity to travel to this area to view this previous educational building, but then, Rome was not built in a day. The photograph of the school which was taken in May of 1916 shows the usual white frame building, center door, and chimney on the rear of building, one of possible two windows on one side and more than likely the same on the other side. Whereas some of the early school buildings were built with the one front door, and inside a hall, then enter through probably two doors to the area of the classroom.
The “Records of Boundaries” in the above publication give the boundaries of District #6 as being located between Captain Harmon Terwilliger’s and Andrew Terwilliger’s to the County Line. However the district boundaries were changed in 1832 with the west half of 70/4T occupied by Harmon Terwilliger being added from District #11 to District #6. This change of districts, either adding or taking away was a more or less common practice in the Township, and the research of other Chenango County school district in other townships has also been the scenario throughout the course of these schools existence. Again in 1846 the farm of Urias Decker previously in District # was given to District #13 (Greene and Brisben).