As the fall season continues here in beautiful Chenango County we again take a look at two more of the numerous districts that composed the Town of Greene. Once again the historical data that is available once again credit is to be given to Mildred English Folsom in her book “Town of Greene - Rural School Districts.” Additional credit is to Smith’s History of Chenango County 1784-1880.
Smith’s History relates that in 1877 there were 21 common and 1 Union School, each having a schoolhouse within the town and 3 common school districts which have not. The number of children residing as of September 30, 1877 was 1, 014 and during that year there were 18 male and 36 female teachers, 28 of whom were licensed. Children residing in the numerous districts were 894, of which 4 were under five or over 21 years of age. Total number of volumes in the district libraries was 2, 218 with a total value of $l,872. As written above there were 22 schoolhouses of which 21 were frame and 1 brick. Total acreage was five acres and 140 rods and the assessed value of property in the districts stood at $2, 313.70. The total receipts for the above year was $8,169 and total expenditures $8,169.15. One cannot help but wonder if this over expenditure of $.15 was questioned?