For the next several weeks we will be returning to the southern section of Chenango County for brief looks at the history of Greene’s one-room schools. Greene has the distinction of having the most school districts and was the last township to accept centralization of the schools of Chenango County.
The extensive school history research, which will serve as the basis of not only this article, but the future articles, credit has to be given to Mildred English Folsom, who over the years compiled vast research material.
In 1969 Mrs. Folsom compiled an extensive history of Greene’s schools titled “Town of Greene Rural School Districts” and in her extensive material she was very precise and thorough with all segments of this often overlooked part of Chenango County’s history.
By 1913 there were 20 Common Schools Districts in the Township of Greene (no. 1-2-3- or 21) and under the Compulsory Attendance law the school year became 36 weeks, starting the day after Labor Day and engine approximately June 22 or a few days later. Additionally that all teachers hired for the year rather than just one term were to receive a weekly salary of $10 to $12, which would change to a minimum weekly wage of $20 by 1921, somewhat different from the salaries of today!
Further research of the “Record of Boundaries” which was established by the Commissioners was written as follows: District #1 - Lost by being attached to Oxford and District #2 - Bounded by the farms of David S. Crandall and Joseph Tillotson (all in the Town of Greene) to the line between Smithville and Greene. That part lying in the Town of Oxford consists of the farms of Zopher Betts - Daniel Loomis - and Benaiah Loomis. And now for the somewhat mystery!