When the New York State Legislature in 1786 set apart certain lands in the Township No. 2 or Clinton for the so-called Vermont Sufferers, Simeon Metcalf (surveyor general) was ordered to set apart two lots of 640 acres each, or one square mile for “Gospel and Schools” and for “Promoting Literature.” Previously there had been a similar law enacted as early as 1782.
H. H. Lyon in his extensive documentation of the history of the schools in Bainbridge wrote that “Gospel and Schools was clearly understood. However “Promoting Literature” was a stranger to him till he researched and found out that it simply meant the land could be used in the establishment of an academy. It would be many years before an academy within the lots were to be considered and except for a few years these two sites were used for the support of common schools and the financial support was divided between church and school which appears to be the intent of the State Legislature.
In the previous articles relevant to the district schools in the Town of Bainbridge and in the Village itself there were many persons associated with the continuing effort to provide an education for the children of the township. Not to deviate from these individuals at this point a classroom of the new school built in the village (after much controversy and planning and thought) a photo of students attending the new school is shown adjacent to this article.