Once again we return to the Town of Bainbridge for a rather brief look at two more of the district schools. However, it is admitted that the information relevant to these two schools is at present non-existent.
District #8 - Dingman Hill as the photo accompanying this article shows is still standing. This writer is unaware of the condition of the building and perhaps on a sunny Sunday afternoon it will be explored as to the condition. We apologize for the faint photo as it was taken from a distance and the caption that we have privilege to states “The white building in the background was the schoolhouse.” If in the future research does reveal new facts, we will return to this early bastion of education again.
Joint District #9 - which this writer has termed Douglas or Shields district as the 1875 map of Bainbridge gives the information that J. C. & W. H. Douglas and F. Shields were early residents of the area near where the school building once stood. The two maps that are shown with this article will give you an approximate location of each school. Joint District #9 would have been located on what is now New York State Route #9 quite near the Kelly Road which bears to the left and ends on Route 7. It is regrettable that the majority of the school buildings are gone, but that is the progress of conserving history - destroy it!