With the development of the Bainbridge area the pioneer settlers had in their extremely difficult life, the thoughts of having their children educated in either the common schools or if the parents were well off financially, perhaps sending children to a select school which was considered to be a more favorable educational institution and would provide a better education for those attending.
Smith’s History of Chenango County relates that Bainbridge had been developed into twelve Common and one Union Free School districts within the township. Each of these townships has a school house. This fountain of information relates that during the year ending September 30, 1878 there were 17 licensed teachers at one time during 28 weeks or more. Residing in these districts as of Sept. 30,1 877 were 550 children. In the year ending September 30, 1878 records show 9 male and 20 female teachers employed, while the number of children residing in the districts who attended school were 471 with only 7 under age 5 or over the age of 21. There were 653 books in these twelve district libraries with a total value of $1,038. As written above of the thirteen school buildings, twelve were frame and one brick with the sites embracing 3 acres and 89 rods with the schools valued at whopping value of $1,337 and the land at $18,877. Smith’s History gives us the financial statement that the total receipts as of October 1, 1877 were $4,787.93 with disbursements being the same amount.