NORWICH – Lawmakers charged with monitoring Chenango County’s landfill operations made yet another unsuccessful pitch for raising tipping fees at a meeting of supervisors last Tuesday, but it turns out that a piece of data provided to influence the vote wasn’t entirely accurate.
A referral from the Public Works Committee to raise the per-ton fee from $55 to $58 and the per-bag fee from $1.25 to $1.50 died in the Board of Supervisors chambers last Tuesday by a vote of 14 to 8, with one absent.
The most adamantly opposed official, who also happens to be chairman of public works, Town of Sherburne Supervisor Harry Conley, said raising revenues at the landfill were “not necessary.” Conley’s vote in his own committee last month was the sole in opposition of the proposed resolution to the full board.
“This is an added burden to people at this time, and we don’t need it. People will just say they’ll take care of their own garbage and throw it wherever,” he said.
Conley preceded his statement by saying that DPW Director Randy Gibbon had informed him that there was sufficient money in the department’s budget currently to build the next cell in seven years, as planned, as well as to cover closure costs at the current cell. However, when questioned before the seven-member Public Works committee later on Thursday, Gibbon said the Cell 4 development fund was $1.6 million short.