The earliest evidence that a road existed between the Village of Norwich and the hamlet of South New Berlin is the 1855 map. Prior to that there was none. At least that is what the 1829 and 1839 maps by David H. Burr indicate. These maps are all that we have for that era. They were published by the Surveyor General and republished by Stone and Clark in Ithaca.