See those railroad tracks in the photo? They belong to the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad (NYS&W), formerly the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad (DL&W). They traverse the flat land of the Chenango River valley. Their railbed was laid down around 1870, long before we had any systematic archaeological investigations here. Our local archaeological group was started in 1950.