NORWICH – Tansey’s Auto Supply first opened its doors at 13 Birdsall St. in 1956 – after 50 years, Tansey’s may look a little different, but the personal customer service is the same.
George Blood has been working at Tansey’s for 48 years. He started working there in 1958 as part of a cooperative learning program with his high school. Blood was a junior at the time, and had no idea when he started that he’d be there for the next half-century.
The Tansey family owned the store when Blood began working there, but in 1975, they decided to sell, and with the help of his partner Dave Connor, Blood bought the store. Although they thought about changing the name, they finally decided it would be too much of a hassle. So despite the fact that Blood has owned the store for 31 years, it is still the Tansey name on the sign.