GREENE – In response to a devastating Christmas fire that razed a home in the Town of Smithville, caring community members are banding together in support of the Shafer-Carr family in a humbling show of goodwill.
At approximately 9 a.m. Christmas morning, the home of Cindy Carr and her six children went up in flames destroying the home and all of its contents.
Smithville Fire commanded the scene and was assisted by both Oxford and Greene crews. Brisben was held on standby and NYSEG was requested to cut power to the structure.
Much like a Christmas miracle, no one was home with the exception of the family cat, Pickles.
“They feared that Pickles may have passed away in the fire, but somehow he escaped through a broken door,” said Greene resident, Wally VanVoorhis.
“This is has got to be one of the most devastating things,” said VanVoorhis. “Losing everything you own on Christmas morning is just awful, but they are very fortunate and everyone is safe today,” he added.
According to fire personnel, the fire was traced to the kitchen of the home and was electrical in nature.
“Fortunately, Cindy was at her father’s farm working, and the children were at their grandmother’s celebrating Christmas, any other morning the family would have been home,” said VanVoorhis...