CHENANGO COUNTY – The Southern Tier Athletic Conference (STAC) for the 2015-2016 season in New York State high school wrestling has named their All-Division and All-STAC team.
The majority of Chenango County competes in the MAC league of Section IV, leaving just Sherburne as the lone Section III team and Norwich residing within STAC East Division of Section IV alone as well.
Of the 15 possible weight classes in the sport of wrestling, ranging from as small as 99-pounds all the way up to the heavyweights at 285-pounds, the Purple Tornado claimed six of those weight class spots while placing another on the prestigious All-STAC team.
• Ty Rifanburg, a Sophomore at 126-pounds earned the honor of All-STAC Team after boasting a 41-8 record on the season. A record that also included STAC champion, Section IV Champion and placing fifth overall in Albany at the Division II New York State Tournament. Ty will be looking to add on to his already impressive win total of 112-49 at just the age of a sophomore.
The following were all named as All-Division in the STAC East:
• Eli Rodriguez an eighth grader at 99-pounds had an impressive 37-7 record which earned him the honors of All- Division after earning a shot at the wild card spot to the State tournament after coming up one match short in both STAC's and the Sectional tournament, earning a second place finish in both. Eli impressively took that wild card selection at 99-pounds and ran with it as he came out battling to a third place finish at the state tournament.
• Nick Glanville wrestled at 106-pounds for The Tornado as a freshman earning a record of 22-13. Nick Earned a fifth place finish this year at the Section IV Tournament, as he earned recognition as one of the STAC leagues best at 106-pounds.
• Dalen Geislinger is a senior who fell short of his goal to reach the state tournament but still receives a consolation prize of earning all-division honors. Geislinger wrestled at 120-pound spot and took home a third place finish at the Sectional Tournament, finishing his high school career with a 38-8 season record and a 113-29 career record.
• Zack Mills, a freshman wrestling at the 132-pound spot burst onto the scene this year boasting 27-11 record. Posting nine additional wins to only one loss from last years totals. Mills was named all-division and finished his season placing fourth at the sectional tournament. Mills, much like many on the Norwich roster, has time to improve on his already impressive overall record of 55-28.
• Cole Rifanburg, brother of Ty, held down the 138-pound sport and earns all-division honors there after completing his junior season at a 35-6 record. Cole, much like Geislinger, fell short of his goal to reach the state tournament this year earning a third place finish in the sectional tournament. Cole will have one more to improve on his 136-69 overall record.
• Brennan Slater competed at 170-pounds for Norwich and racked up a 24-13 season record. Slater finished as sophomore placing fifth at the sectional tournament this year as well. Slater will have many years to improve on his overall career record of 40-24 as he is just a sophomore.
Jake Franklin a junior who was named all-division at 182-pound slot after posting a 13-11 season record and finishing fifth in the section. Franklin will have one more season to add to his overall record of 20-32.
"It's a testament to their hard work all season and staying focused. There are 17 STAC schools with some of them being the best in the Section and the state, so to make this list is quite an honor," said Norwich varsity wrestling head coach Bob Hagenbuch.
All records were reported off of cnywrestling.com
A full list of the 2015-2016 All STAC Team and Division All-Stars can be found below.